Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Our Love/Hate Relationship with Our Hair

I like many other African American women have a love/hate relationship with my hair surprisingly or maybe not it's more love than hate. I have some thick hair that's black, which most people don't have. But I know amongst black women it's almost war sometimes with their hair and regarding their hair. Should it be natural or relaxed? Should it be a weave or my hair? I think we also sometimes make too much of an poltical issue of our hair instead of doing whatever we like and is easiest for us. My hair is my own and whatever I do with is not a political statement for me and if it is the statement is 'I'm independent' which is my political leanings anyway. My hair is relaxed and short but I like easy hair so this is easy for me and it looks good. I take good care of my hair and I believe that 'good hair is healthy hair' so I keep it healthy. Hey, if I decide one day to cut it all off that's my business or if I decide to buy some hair, attach it and having it hanging to my butt that's my business too. My love/hate relationship with my hair is my own, we're going to be together for a long time so only we have to get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment