Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

I'm the DIY Project Girl

There are lots things people can learn about me by reading my blog, you won't know all of me but you can get a little peek inside my life. You can learn I'm a writer, I like to draw, I'm great at public speaking, I'm a super fan of Elvis Presley, I like classic movies, I love to roller skate and I'm a do-it-yourselfer. Yes, I like projects I don't do them often, I have a wonderful strong, strapping man around who loves DIY so I let him indulge. But I've taken on a project and I'm looking forward to the end result. As you know, we've moved in a new apartment, or flat as those of you on the other side of the pond call it, we're now out buying new furniture but if you know anything about furniture, things made of wood are expensive and by old standards made pretty shabbily. So Matt has a bureau and some beautiful maple chairs and both of them are tremendously well made out of real wood pieces but covered in that hideously ugly 70s lacquer. I'm sure you've seen pieces like these at your parents' house or some poor college student. A beautiful piece of furniture covered in ugly lacquer. So I'm sanding these  pieces down and priming them and painting them. I've started with the bureau and this is my progress so far,



how you like it? I can't wait for it to be done. I'm painting both the bureau and chairs navy blue. I love navy blue, it's a great neutral. After they are painted, I'll be putting polished nickel hardware on the bureau and beautiful cushions on the chairs. So I'll keep you guys all updated on it. It's tough work especially the sanding but I think it will be worth it. All this furniture is over 30 years old and still in awesome condition, why would I ever throw that away for expensive badly made crap that won't last till our next move. So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment