Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's Lent Season Again

For all you that don't know and those that do it's Lent season begins today, Ash Wednesday. Now if you're unaware of what Lent means to Christians of all faiths, I guess I could give a little overview.

Lent, is the 40 day period of fasting and prayer from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday before Easter. The 40 days represents the time Jesus spent in the desert overcoming temptation by Satan. The period of Lent is preparation for the annual commemoration of the death and resurrection of Jesus, celebrated during Holy Week. Lent is a Teutonic word , meaning spring season.


Today is Ash Wednesday, I'll probably be going later to get the ashes put on my forehead at my church. Now as a Christian I'm supposed to give up something for Lent and most of the time people give up things that are simple, coffee or meat or whatever. Usually something they can do without but I have a member of my church that challenged us last year to give up something that was really not useful in your life and if you could give it up for 40 days you could give it up forever. Well, I did try last year but I didn't make it the whole Lent season. But I'm going to try again this year, I'm going to try to give up cursing. Oh yes, little sweet me can curse like a sailor and it's an atrocious habit. One I've been trying to give up for awhile but Lent Season is a great time to come to God and ask for help giving this up. And if I do for the 40 days, I can do it for good. Now I'm not a perfect Christian, really most Christians aren't. I struggle with a lot of things but I'm always thankful that God doesn't hold things against me the way humans do. He gives me another chance to try to get it right everyday I'm above ground. So I'll be asking God for help as I try again to give up cursing. Maybe I can get some words to use in the place of those that aren't so bad. Boy, somebody please pray for me. LOL. 

2 comments:

  1. Ah I think I'm agnostic. I had enough of church when I was little :)

    Though mom still have her ways of getting me to church whenever we're down there visiting my family. Mothers guilt is a powerful thing and I think I'll use it on my kids when I will get older heh..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even a regular church-goer I have a church home but I go when I feel like going. I don't think God's giving extra points for showing up to church, bad people go there too. It's how I live where I try to show my Christianity. Jesus didn't even have a church home, hmm think on that LOL. I don't push my beliefs down people's throats, if I live a good life, they may want to know how and why then I explain. I don't hate on people, what they do or who they are. Not everything in the bible is be taken literally, a wonderful lesson from Billy Graham. I don't proselytize but I don't hide that I'm a Christian either. I respect people's beliefs and I always enjoy when people respect mine.

    ReplyDelete