Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Star's Favorite...Television-MST3K

Okay, I'm telling you something about me you probably already know from reading my blog, I love to laugh. And I don't mean the little polite hehehe, I mean the gut busting, gonna pee on yourself, side hurting, and soda spurtin' out of your nose laugh. I have a wonderful sense of humor something I didn't discover about myself till I was a bit older. I also love dry wit and good sarcasm. Personally, I'm a sarcastic ass which many people don't get or don't like and I understand that. Sarcasm done wrongly can just sound mean but really it's supposed to make you laugh, now if you lack a sense of humor there's not much I can do for you. One of my favorite television shows is Mystery Science Theater 3000, it no longer comes on television but you can see it forever by watching it or renting the DVDs from Netflix or Hulu. Really that's what I've been doing the last week in my spare moments at home, watching MST3K and laughing my head off.

The show revolves around a group of folks stuck out in space on the Satellite of Love and an evil nemesis (Dr. Forester or Pearl) on Earth that has sent them there. While there, they are forced to watch terrible movies and be monitored by the evil Dr. Forester or Pearl. The hosts changed over the years, this show was on for over a decade, but the laughs are still there. The original host was Joel Hodgson know on the show as Joel Robinson and then Mike Nelson took over. Now to tell the truth, I don't have a favorite here, Joel and Mike are really funny in their own right and each show they hosted I found hilarious. But even more hilarious are the puppets on the show, Joel and Mike had two puppets they sat in the 'theater' with to watch these God-awful movies. One is Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo, a candy machine. There is also Gyspy a big purple headed puppet with long black tubing and Cambot, their camera. In between segments they come out of the theater to tell jokes and do funny skits based on whatever madness that was in that movie. You have to watch it to actually get the gist of it. The movies they skewered every week were just atrociously bad so having three people sit there and make quips, sarcastic remarks, and flat out fun of a piece of a cinematic crap is just great. The show began in 1989 and ended it's run in about early 2000s. The whole set looked like it cost about a hundred dollars but you didn't watch to see the set, you watched to see the movie they would roast every week and laugh to your heart's desire. If you ever get the opportunity to rent it and watch it, please do you will not be disappointed. Especially if you enjoy this sort of humor, like I do.

Here's a list of my favorites:
  • MST3K: Manos-The Hands of Fate
  • MST3K: Bogey Creek II, this is particularly hilarious
  • MST3K: Teenagers from Space
  • MST3K: Hercules Unchained
  • MST3K: Hercules and the Moon Men
  • MST3K: Eegah!
  • MST3K: The Brain that Wouldn't Die
Here are some clips, be careful if you're drinking anything it may shoot out of your nose at the belly laughs.






No comments:

Post a Comment