Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Star's Favorite...Music-Florence & the Machine



One of the things you'll probably figure out as you read this blog is that I am electic. I like what I like and I'm not real concerned if people don't understand my likes. Just as with movies, I love music. I wish I had some musical talent but alas I have none. I can't sing, personally I would torture anyone with my singing and I can't play an instrument, my mom always tried to make me take something but I resisted. I was a stubborn child. My music tastes run the gamut, I can't really fit it into a neat box. This post will be the beginning of you maybe wondering, what will she come up with next.

I was in Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago in the music section as I stood there looking for a copy of the DVD 'The Firm' I heard this beautiful strong voice overhead singing a song that I really wasn't aware of the name. I asked the guy behind the counter who it was and he said 'Oh it's this group.' He handed me the CD case with a picture of redhead with plastic lungs on the outside of her chest. At the top it said Florence + the Machine , at the bottom, 'Lungs' and lungs is what she got. I was in music love. I don't regularly hear a lot of new groups I like. I hate to be a old fogey but much of today's music is as dry as Gandhi's sandals. I never get eargasms when I hear new stuff. But I got an eargasm when I heard this, the best one I've had in a long time. The singer, Florence Welch, is from the UK. They really are producing some strong talented female singers over there lately but I'll touch on that in another post. Her voice is magnificent, it's high and strong, she almost blows you over with it. I think that day I was listening in Barnes and Noble she was singing 'The Dog Days are Over' what a magnificent song. Take a listen:





I love the words to this song, my favorite line from the song is



Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father
Run for your children, for your sisters and brothers
Leave all your loving, your loving behind
You cant carry it with you if you want to survive

There is something about those words that ring true for me.

When the tempo picks up in the song I can't help but cut loose, there's something so primal about it. I got to move and I love it. I also love 'You Got the Love' she has a beautiful soulful, pop voice. Now when I was introduced to Florence & the Machine they hadn't really made a big splash on the radio and the next thing I know I hear my 14 year old niece a few weeks later listening to something that sounds familiar, it was Florence. I was impressed, the kid has some aweosme music tastes, I think she inherited that from me LOL. I'm glad they have made a name for themselves, the U.S. market is not easy to get into and I wish them success. I also wish that they'd make their way up to the Pacific Northwest so I can go check them out live, I bet 'The Dog Days are Over' is brillant live. I love this new group and this song really says something to me because it kind of speaks to my life at this moment, the dog days are over for me, I've survived and thrived and I want to celebrate. I cannot wait to see Florence & the Machine live, come on you guys I need a good music fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment